Wednesday, May 21, 2008

who are you calling a "tea leaf" ?

I've mentioned on this blog before that Powell & Bishop were international exporters of their wares. P&B exhibited in the USA and found a huge market for their ironstone wares which were often plainer in design than their earthenware and bone china ranges. One design style that draws collectors together is " Tea Leaf " designs (not a reference to a stolen design) - a simple white body with a gold or lustre tea leaf image. There is a worldwide collectors club for Tea Leaf designs and their link is here: http://www.tealeafclub.com/ I don't currently have any Tea Leaf items in my collection as I tend to prefer more highly decorated pieces, but as my collection grows, i'm sure it will include pieces like the tureen in the picture above as the elegance of the design style would make a stunning display en masse.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Sometimes, life doesn't turn out the way you expected. And sometimes, it is exactly as it was 'meant' to be. I believe that life is a both a learning experience and an obstacle course to be climbed and clambered over in the most creative way possible! In doing so, you'll get to where you should be even if it's not where you'd imagined.