Saturday, May 23, 2009

Latest Acquisition

Here is my latest acquistion, filling a rather beautiful spot in my Bisto vase collection. It was mainly the colour that drew me to this pot I am rather happy with it. It's a great example of how Bishop & Stonier combined different techniques on one piece, in this instance: gilded areas, handpainted enamels and a stippled effect background. I'm unsure how this blue background was achieve, but it is a feature of several pieces in my collection. From what i know of 1920s/30s decorative ceramics, a couple of popular techniques were sponging the colour on and spray painting! Perhaps this is one or t'other. On close inspection, i don't think anyone, however passionate about Bisto wares, could argue that it was a fine work of art, but it's decorative appeal outways the few errors made by a paintress's unsteady hand.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Sometimes, life doesn't turn out the way you expected. And sometimes, it is exactly as it was 'meant' to be. I believe that life is a both a learning experience and an obstacle course to be climbed and clambered over in the most creative way possible! In doing so, you'll get to where you should be even if it's not where you'd imagined.