Monday, August 11, 2008

Goo Goo Gaa Gaa...

My partner and I took a trip to Salisbury, Wiltshire today for a stroll around this very well-to-do and very attractive city. If you've never been and you get the chance to go, do, it's lovely. Well, I have a favourite antiques shop there that climbs over three levels and houses many wonderful things from: furniture, antiquities, old books, photographs and postcards, silverware and pottery galore. Salisbury and this shop, is not really a cheap city to visit; so make sure you go just after your paycheck has arrived or with lots of birthday money in your pockets. I first saw a trefoil shaped dish in a cabinet on the ground floor: 1930s, BISTO's attempt at Art Deco mixing geometric trees and black bands with a more traditional body shape - not very successful and to be honest rather ugly. But it was BISTO and I was tempted, rather than come home with nothing. I thought I'd come back to it if I found nothing else. On to the top floor and peeking out from beneath a pile of other things I saw this baby's bowl with an image of Little Red Riding Hood and went Goo Goo Gaa Gaa over it. I have seen the design before and recognised it as BISTO instantly but I couldn't see a price label as it was obscured by the rest of the pile. I duly asked the man behind the desk to open the cabinet for me and saw it was £45 - hmmph, more than i would've like to pay at this stage in the month, but certainly a VERY good price as even chipped ones can go for over a hundred. This bowl is in fantastic conditon, no chips or restoration and only minor knife marks - what a find. I left it for half an hour then had to go back. The man knocked a fiver off for me and I am now delighted to add it to my collection and show it to you. This may be the start of a nursery ware section of my collection. I have previously blogged about another dish I saw on Ebay but never got round to bidding on it. May be i'll be more proactive about bidding now.

1 comment:

The Ticcy Knitter said...

Having surfed the net to find out who could possibly have done the illustration for this design, i'm sill none-the-wiser, but I did find a great site called Chrisbeetles.com which has some fantastic pictures for sale. I could see similarities with the work of Kate Greenway, Eileen Soper, Charles Robinson, Florence Harrison. Take a look for yourself and may be you can help me attribute an illustrator to this wonderful image.

About Me

My photo
Sometimes, life doesn't turn out the way you expected. And sometimes, it is exactly as it was 'meant' to be. I believe that life is a both a learning experience and an obstacle course to be climbed and clambered over in the most creative way possible! In doing so, you'll get to where you should be even if it's not where you'd imagined.